Tuesday, April 1, 2008

spring has sprung!







You can't see, but there are little lettuce sprouts in the cold frame. I built it myself! It was mostly easy and fun. All you need are:

-An old window (from a junk yard or building surplus)
-Some scrap 2 x 6s or whatever other size lumber you prefer (cut to fit the window and build a box higher in the top than the back, which means you'll have to have two triangle-shaped pieces to create an incline)
-Hinges
-Nails or screws
-A saw
-A tape measure
-Some scrap 2 x 2s or thereabouts for corner posts
-A hasp or latch of some kind (optional)
-Weather stripping (also optional)

The only thing that I couldn't do myself was cut the one piece on the diagonal to make two triangles. I had to have my dad help me because he has a band saw. But if you have and are handy with a rip saw (I do not, and I am not), that is an option, too. I also didn't use carpenter's glue, but that might have been helpful.

I would write more detailed directions, but I didn't have any. I had to figure it out for myself, and I imagine that someone with better visual sense would make fewer mistakes than I did if they just took the time to make a diagram. I just made mistakes anyway, and then took it apart and put it back together again. It worked out in the end.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

and a great job you did too.
Your sprouts look great.
Doesn't gardening provide the most satisfying possible combination of excitement and serenity?
-Lorie

Allie said...

Wow! The cold frame is great!

maria said...

thanks, lorie! you're right; it takes both enthusiasm and patience too. jacob wanted to "weed" today, when really the sprouts in question are all too tiny to tell the weeds from the non-weeds. i told him we have to be patient!

allie: you should try to make one! it's not hard. you could easily find some real instructions online too.

Mama Monster said...

Feel free to come over to my place and weed.

Jacob said...

Meri: how about Saturday?
(i'm not even kidding... :p)